Verona wedding receptions
The Notary’s Chapel is the most prestigious room in the “Palazzo della Ragione”, the old City Town Hall.
The majestic Palazzo is located in the southeast corner of the ancient Roman Forum between Piazza Erbe and Piazza dei Signori and was erected in the last years of the 12th century to host the Offices of the Magistrate’s Court. Throughout the centuries it became an important political center and housed in its big rooms the Notary’s College, the Silk Customs Offices, the Tax Offices, the Savings Bank and the Law Court.
Built between 1408 and 1419 on behalf of the honourable Notary’s College that dedicated it to St. Zeno and St. Daniel, the Notary’s Chapel is located on the first floor of the Masseria Tower (the fortified tower) and hosts one of the most valuable decorations realized on public commission.
There are four small communicating rooms protected by preciously decorated 19th century wood panels ; vaulted ceilings and gothic arches are the set for grand baroque oil paintings on oval canvasses done by the Veronese Alessandro Marchesini, Giambattista Bellotti, Santo Prunati and by the French artist Louis Dorigny at the end of the 17th century