Orthodox Church

Venice Churches

Orthodox Church

It’s the oldest and historically the most important church of the Orthodox Diaspora. It has been for centuries one of the most splendid Orthodox temples in the world. The Cathedral of St.George was built with the contributions of the Greek Orthodox faithful residing in and travelling through Venice. The building permit for construction was issued only after repeated attempts and hard struggle. In obtaining the permit, two classes of Greeks immigrants played a key role: the Greek soldiers serving in the Venetian army and the Greek intellectuals. The building phase began in the year 1539 and was completed in 1573. The architects of the church were the famous Sante Lombardo (1539-1547), Gianantonio Chiona (as of 1548 onward) and Bernardo Ongarin (1587-1603) who also designed the inclined bell tower. Architecturally, the Cathedral is a domed Basilica with a single inflection. From outside it resembles a Venetian Church of the Renaissance Era. As a whole the Cathedral is simple and imposing, decorated with beautiful and harmonic architectural elements. Above the main entrance the visitor sees a mosaic of Jesus Christ with an inscription composed by Michael Sofianos in 1564